Blue light, emitted by electronics and the sun, can damage your eyes and harm your health. You are exposed to the short wavelengths of blue light in the visible spectrum; the high energy rays are even seen in the sky and make it appear blue. However, too much exposure to its brightness may damage your retinal function. To maintain your eye health, you can take simple steps to protect yourself from this everyday detriment.
- Decrease your time on digital devices and computers.
- Limit access to the Internet or technology to specific areas in your home and make some spaces technology-free.
- Use a blue light screen protector on your monitor or smartphones.
- Use screen wipes on your monitor to reduce glare.
- Wear blue light shielding computer glasses while using computers or gaming.
- Shut down your digital devices 2-3 hours before going to bed to decrease harmful blue light effects on your sleep.
- Blink often when viewing screens and rest your eyes from them at least once hourly.
- Keep yourself properly hydrated.
- Wear sunglasses outside to protect your eyes.
- Take Zeaxanthin and Lutein supplements to boost macular health.
You can implement these small changes into your routine to help your vision. Your eyes deserve to be treated well night and day in order to keep your Life in Sight. Remember to see your ophthalmologist annually and if you experience any vision problems.